Tuesday, August 28, 2012

47 of 70 : Sturgeon Valley Golf & Country Club, St. Albert, AB




View of the 8th and 9th fairways and the Sturgeon River on the left.



The Sturgeon Valley Golf & Country Club did not make the list of the 100 best courses in Canada, however, when it comes to the ranking by the golfers it scores an 8.0, making it one of the top courses in the province. Compare this to the Northern Bear which only scored a 6.80 which makes it an excellent local course, yet it ranks among the 100 best. Go figure! Sturgeon Valley is indeed a gorgeous yet demanding course. It plays somewhat like a links course allowing the bump and run approach to the greens.
 

I played alone for the first sixteen holes. It was seniors' day and I was asked to take my time and not play through which was fine for me. I practiced and played two balls at times. The pace was good on the front nine but on the back some of the players must have been tired as the pace slowed down to a halt on 17 where one group was on the green and another on the tee, while I sat waiting in my cart. I was joined by Sue and Don for the last two holes and really enjoyed their company, golf being after all a very social game.
 
On their way to the 18th hole, Sue and Don stopped to watch the carp.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment