Wednesday, August 15, 2012

42 of 70: Jagare Ridge Golf Course, Edmonton, AB



View of the 18th hole from the tee box with Whitemud Creek in the middle and the clubhouse at the back.



Today, August 15th, I played Jagare Ridge Golf Course, and playing by myself I had a rather meditative round. Not that I played well, on the contrary, but it was nonetheless a peaceful and pleasant experience. Jagare Ridge is a magnificent golf course particularly when you first experience the front nine and then holes 10 to 13. From 14 to 17 the course gets defaced with a housing project in development. The 18th hole brings you back to the original splendour. But Jagare Ridge is also quite brutal. Just look at number 18 above. Even from the back tees it is only 314 yards long. But the green is well defended by the creek some fifty yards in front and two humongous bunkers right in front. Unless you are a scratch player you have no choice but to lay up.

The same pattern is repeated over and over again. I can hardly recall a single strait away hole on this course. You either have a dogleg right or  dogleg left. A downhill shot or an uphill one. You must shoot over the creek or a ravine. Course management is of the utmost importance. I have a feeling that Jagare Ridge would be appealing to the low handicappers but not as much for beginning golfers. Sure, from the forward tees (at 5087 yards) it would be manageable but very few men seem to want to play from the red tees. And from the whites it is as brutal as it would be from the blues. Ah! well, it was a nice day and I will live to play another round. And this time I was the only wild thing around so here is my artsy shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment