Saturday, August 11, 2012

40 of 70: River Ridge Golf & Country Club, Edmonton, AB

View of the 9th fairway, a sharp dogleg right over the pond.


River Ridge Golf & Country Club was for me a delightful surprise as it is unlike any other course I have played around Edmonton. Located adjacent to a major real estate development, it proved to be entirely secluded and gave you the impression of being miles away from the city. Built on the bank of the North Saskatchewan River, which is occasionally seen while riding from one hole to the next, the course offers many water hazards over 3 lakes and several ponds. The fairways are at times generous and at times quite narrow, as on number ten, pictured here with a lean opening from the tee to a narrow fairway protected by a pond on the right. Not much room for error on this 417 yard par 4.

For some reason, I was having a difficult time on the front nine, never shooting better than bogey and at times worse. When I got to the number 8 green, I found this inviting tree chair and decided to give it a try. It did pay off as I had a much better back nine which included a birdie on the par 3 fifteenth hole. I shot 6 strokes better on the last nine holes and felt much better and ready to continue on my crazy adventure. The weather was the best we have had in a long time as not once did we feel threatened by rain or thunder storm. I left River Ridge a happy golfer.

View of the 18th fairway.

No comments:

Post a Comment