Monday, July 23, 2012

34 of 70: Nordegg Historic Golf Course, Nordegg, AB


What to do while waiting for my companions to return from a day of paddling the North Saskatchewan River?  Go golfing, of course.

The Nordegg Historic Golf Course was recreated starting in 1990 by some of Nordegg's Old-Timers with the help of local enthusiastic golfers.The original course conceived in 1916 offered a layout of 7 holes. In the 1930's, it was expanded to nine. When the mining operations closed in 1955, it signed the death of the golf course which returned to nature. I have not seen pictures of the original course and, therefore, would not be able to say whether the course is today anywhere near its original design. Suffice to say that it is called the Historic course and that each year, in July, it hosts an Historic Tournament to the benefit of local charities.

As it stands, it is a very primitive layout with little design per se. It feels as if the fairways have been cut out of the overgrowth, four of them at least on very flat land. Holes 5,6,7 and 8 offer the most originality and appeal to the eye as well as a bit more challenge to the golfer. The very small greens are the equivalent of our late Fall or early Spring temporary greens. They are cut out of the fairways, but only shorter so as to allow putting. I enjoyed playing by myself, practicing with two balls in play. I was alone on the course on that day but a thunder storm was threatening and although I could have played all day for my $13 senior fees, I decided, after playing nine, to retire to the nearby Saunders campground and the security of my tent!!! The thunderstorm arrived later in the evening, and I remained dry.



No comments:

Post a Comment