Friday, December 2, 2011

3 0f 70 : The Champions Club, Stuart, Florida

First Tee at The Champions Club

The Champions Club at Summerfield in Stuart was designed by Tom Fazio the Elder and is considered by some as one of his finest, which is a fine compliment, as Fazio has signed at least 9 of the top 100 courses in America as rated by Golf Digest. It was nominated for the Nation's Best New Course in 1995.
This course was routed amongst pristine wetlands and Fazio was respectful of the environment and wildlife preserve. It is surrounded by a housing complex and yet, Fazio never allows the properties to encroach on the course. The views are incredible and the golfing experience magnificent. We are never, however, completely out of the marsh and we have indeed sacrificed a few more balls to the water gods. From the champion's tees, Fazio ensures that the scrach golfer is challenged to the limit. From the white tees the course appears to be far more forgiving but there still is very little room for mistakes.

Brenda tees off in front of the Pampas Grass
I only managed 3 pars all day, a few bogeys and way too many others. I barely managed a 99. So where did I lose all those strokes? Well there were those 3 balls in the water but for the most part the greens got me. The greens are said to be typical Fazio, with subtle plateaus and clever rolls. They were also incredibly fast as one would find them on competition PGA courses. You leave your shot short and are back down the hill. You aim for the pin and end up on the fringe. Quite amazing! On this day, Brenda and I played alone and on the front nine she basically challenged me hole by hole. For a while I thought the Lilongwe Open Ladies Champion was back. In match play, I ended the front nine at -2. I managed to rally on the back to finish All Square. A very impressive performance by my wife. Not only did she play well, she contributed some great pictures which can be found here. I will close with a last picture, just to wet your appetite. Cheers!

An invitation to smell the mimosas.

No comments:

Post a Comment